Monday, 27 October / Fashion Liberation

This weekend I headed away with my family for a break. 'Relaxation' would not be the term to use as, if any of you know Blackpool, no relaxing is involved. We headed out at 8am Saturday morning with plans to hit the Pleasure beach theme park, eat everything you should not eat, walk for miles and have an uncomfortable night sleep in a dodgy yet appealing B&B. Oh and then repeat the same the next day + a groggy and bloated journey home late the next night. 

I did undergo a first world struggle throughout this weekend however: what do I wear. 

My family and friends joke about my consistency with dressing 'posh'. I push forward my argument that 'you never know who you'll bump into' as I struggle through heaving rain in a leather jacket (minus hood). As I was packing for my weekend away I turned to my flatmates for 'help'. I was slapped across the face with their brutally honest and disrespectful answer "a waterproof and practical shoes". Okay, so actually a fully reasonable and realistic response. But so not what I wanted to hear. Since I could dress for myself (e.g. no more colour coordinated outfits with my sister), practicality has never been a concern. I'm hardly a stilettos on an icy path kinda person, but Birkenstocks in the freezing cold has occurred. Though I struggled when folding my least 'fashionable' clothes into my suitcase and argued for a minimum of 15 minutes with my boyfriend as I tried to justify the leather over the parka, the reality of the weekend was that it really didn't matter.

In fact, though I hate to admit, there was something rather liberating about pulling clothes on for 'practicality'. If I wear this I will be warm, was my mantra of the weekend. Well not only was I nice and toasty in my all-black (lets not forget monochrome can be practical) knitwear, but I also didn't think about it once I'd stepped out the cracked door of the B&B. I was ready to face the pure enjoyment of the weekend with my loved ones, and feel thoroughly comfortable throughout.

ps. Today I have returned to usual attire and an outfit post should be up soon to prove it (relax).
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Followers

© FROM RACHEL JANE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig