Thursday, 30 October / New Hair

I realised as I came to write this post that my long hair has never really been featured on my blog/Instagram. This post may seem like a bit of a waste of time for that reason, but anyway, here's a superficial farewell to my long hair. 


The old faithful

I've only had "short" hair once, when I was around 7 years old. I distinctly remember playing on my primary school football team and feeling incredibly bad-ass with my choppy little bunches, courtesy of the generic first school bob. Since then it has grown and grown with the occasional twice yearly trim (purely as a method to encourage further growth). 

When I first mentioned facing the chop to my boyfriend, his response was that I need my 'big, ginger hair' to be 'me'. Oops..

In the majority of my blog, and Instagram, pictures, I was tucking my hair into whichever garment of knitwear/roll neck I happened to be wearing at the time. The reason? I truly despised my long hair. It felt as if I continued to grow those tatty, knotted dreadlocks of dryness for everyone else except myself (most notably my previous hairdresser who actually stated the words "I would refuse to cut this hair short, I love it long"). The state of my bonce became too embarrassing to deal with and after 3 months in a constant 'messy' bun (though not necessarily messy by choice), I made the appointment and only let a few others in on my secret. I have a tendency to panic last minute and withdraw from major decisions (actually tea please...no coffee..actually te...I'm alright for a drink thanks actually). I thought, keep this one to myself and no one will know if it doesn't work out. 

Well.. it did. I'm typing this with my minuscule Mulan-esque bun weightlessly placed on the top of my head. 

Surrounded by a mass of ugly ginger straws, I bounced out of the hairdressers in a Loreal fashion and, for once, wanted to show everyone my fresh chop. Since donning the new do (...and apparently becoming a 60 year old woman) I am loving styling it: blow drying (a whole new world), straightening (in under 2 hours), curling/plaiting/bunning/braiding, you name it, I'm trying it. My hair looks and feels 100% healthier and volumising/texturising spray is my new best friend.


 
et voilĂ 

So to anyone considering the 'lob' (search the hashtag on Instagram and welcome the temptation), do it. I'm consoling myself with the idea that it is actually just hair and (as I remind my nostalgic mother) it will grow back. As for me, I'm more than happy to never return to a world of waist-length hair, where the quantity of shampoo is just overwhelming. 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Followers

© FROM RACHEL JANE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig