Sunday, 03 May / Place to Shop: GAP


My first encounter with GAP was a pale, duck egg blue fleece hoodie with the infamous letters boldy splurged across the front. I wore my blue fleece with pride, acknowledging this as my first entry to designer wear, whilst my older sister donned the identical version in pink. In our GAP jumpers, we joined the collective of school kids promoting the same attire: this being the latest trend craze, before the Jane Norman shopping bag or platform trainers. So long as my mum was dressing me in the morning, I'd be wearing my GAP. Nowadays, though she may no longer choose my outfits, my mum has continued to push me in the direction of this American-branded store for my casual basics and sports-luxe attire, establishing a relationship that has ensured a loyalty as strong as that to completing the "Lost" series (6 years of confusion and Josh Holloway appreciation). 

Last weekend, on a shopping trip with my aforementioned older sister and not-so-little little sister, we entered the realm of GAP and remained indoors for almost an hour. Granted, the 2 changing rooms and 6-person queue influenced this duration, but the mass of decent clothing held my attention for almost as long as Sawyer and Kate's "never have I ever" scene of season 1. Clambering into the changing room with more than I could afford to buy, I began the rigmarole of the dressing room routine which usually leaves me heavily disappointed and very much in-pocket. Instead, everything was nice. I mean everything. You know those 'yes'/'no'/'maybe' piles you're forced to create on really great shopping trips? The yes pile was stacking up and it was exciting.

From skinny jeans to lightweight bomber jackets, the cut of the clothing was adhering to the temperamental curves of my body that usually causes immense distress in changing rooms. I pulled back the curtain and smugly smiled to the sales assistant in response to his question "any good?". "I'll take it all". 

Perhaps this has become somewhat of a novella, and in fact, I purchased five items, not the entirety of the collection. But my point (if there is one), is that I found some quality clothing, in the perfect size, with a sale price reduced to a further 20% when I hit the till. Is there ever a greater feeling than that?! I returned the following day, unable to shake the thought of the pale grey utility jacket I'd become acquainted with on my first trip. Regrettably spending a further spritz of my work wages (though really not regretting at all), I genuinely felt sorrow waving goodbye to my new favourite shop. With my nearest GAP a small concession in a local department store, the probability of finding such success within the clothing rails again seems far in the future. Though with a now fully stocked wardrobe of key transition pieces to head toward the summer, via this gloomy month of April, perhaps that's for the best.

If you're of any shape (my sisters and I vary greatly between clothing size and eating habits: read - I can't put down the chocolate), and appreciate minimal basics with a relaxed yet sophisticated vibe, do check out GAP in its current state. Our love affair began many years ago, and we're still in the honeymoon phase. 








SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Followers

© FROM RACHEL JANE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig